Thank you for all the nice comments! I love being part of the running/blogging community and having all your encouragement and support. I realized after I did my last post how whiney I sounded. I didn't mean to be Debby Downer, I was just venting. And no, I am not giving into the negativity! Running makes me feel good, strong and healthy! Why would I stop? My knees looked great..the X-rays showed no signs of arthritis, which apparently, according to the doc, is common in runners.
My 5 mile run this morning was a success. There were a few weird twinges in my IT band on the side of my knee, so I walked a few times and I walked down the major hill on my route. I also tried to keep my stride a bit shorter than normal. We will see how it feels later today..but so far, so good! :)
My most favorite thing after a hot and sweaty run is ice cold watermelon! There just isn't anything much better!
I have been absent from the blogging world. A lot has happened over the last couple of weeks. Let me update you. First off, I had a DNS for the Utah Valley marathon. My IT band decided it had had ENOUGH! and rebelled, so much so, that I thought I tore my meniscus. I couldn't put my weight on it, couldn't straighten my leg, and there were popping noises...ugh. So to the doctor I went...
The doc came in shook my hand introduced himself and the intern that was with him. The questions started...
How long have you had the pain? How many miles a week do you run? How often do you change your shoes? You know, the regular questions...He then asked if I was taking any anti-inflamatory meds. I said I was taking 800 mg at night. "You are doing it all wrong. You are just taking it symptomatically, you need to be taking 600 mg 3 times a day and supplement with Tylenol. That may sound like a lot, but you have got to get the inflamation down." OK, done! He then told me I was too old to be running...ok, not in those exact words, but that is exactly what he meant! He said, "running after the age of 35 is not wise..." and proceeded to tell me that I should stop running and take up cycling. I agree, cycling is an exellent form of exercise, but running is what I love, it's what I do! After the manual testing he diagnosed me with ITBS. He really didn't give me any advice on how to treat it other than the meds..so I have been reading and RunnerDude gave me some great advice, thanks again! I have had several ultrasound treatments, and have been stretching and rolling out my IT band with The Stick. It seems to be feeling a little better, not 100%, but I ran twice this week, with relatively no problems. So tomorrow I will try to go 5 maybe 6 miles and see how it goes.
I went to the bank yesterday to make a deposit for work...the teller asked me if I had a son, I thought it was a weird question, but I said yes, and she said, "he came in and made a deposit a few weeks ago..." The boy she was talking about is my boss's son who is 22!...22! Do I really look that old? Alright, so I am old enough to have a kid that age, but my oldest is only 9. I felt a little sad the rest of the night and kept looking in the mirror and noticing more wrinkles...oh well, it's bound to happen sometime I guess. This will be me next week, what with all the stretching and aging I have been doing...
39! What does that mean? It means I am officially old..I have exactly 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days to run 21 more marathons to reach my goal!
I thought since it is my birthday I would share with you 39 random things about me...
1. I share my birthday with National Running Day...how cool is that?
2.What I really want for my birthday is this...
3. I have the best husband! He is my number one fan and he supports me in everything I do. I love you!
4. The only way I can remember how old I am is remembering how old my son is and adding 30
5. I love Disneyland
6. I love sushi ~ it is actually a great pre-race meal
7. I work my legs hard three days a week (MWF)
8. I don't like sunscreen. Bad, I know
9. I wear contacts
10. Right now, my favorite treat is chocolate covered raisins
11. I don't like shopping
12. I don't like to cook
13. I do like doing dishes... it is very therapeutic
14. I drink A LOT of water
15. I have lost 19 pounds and 8 inches since January 1st
16. I WILL qualify for Boston during the next year
17. I love it when it is raining and the sun is shining at the same time
18. I met Matt Damon last summer at Hanalei Bay. (Shook his hand and had a conversation with him. :)
19. I worked out with Gabby Reese... She is amazing.
20. I really miss Kauai!!!
21. I miss the Hawaiian trade winds blowing through my house
22. I love watching the sun set over the ocean
23. I am missing a toenail on one of my toes
24. I have the cutest/best kids in the world
25. I try not to eat bread
26. I love avocados
27. I have a serious sweet tooth
28. My son is a great swimmer..watch out Michael Phelps!
29. I am not very coordinated
30. I am 5'10"
31. I don't dye my hair..the sun gives me great highlights every summer :)
32. I like Volvos
33. I like Mexican food~ It is always my post race meal
34. I like getting pedicures, but don't do it nearly enough
35. I have never been to the East Coast
36. I would love to live in England again
37. I want to spend an entire summer traveling Europe
38. I am going to do the Goofy Challenge in 2012!
39. I might just want to do a triathlon....
Thanks for stopping by my blog! And Happy National Running Day!