Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Ogden Marathon

So,  here is the recap of the Ogden Marathon.  

It was the perfect day to run a marathon.  The weather was great.  It was such a pretty day. Most of you know that the St. George marathon is my all time favorite race...well, Ogden is a very close second!  The course is beautiful, the race was well organized, it had a "St. George" feel to it.  The aid stations were great and I especially loved the watermelon!  It was a friendly marathon as well, people were willing to talk and it was just fun.  I met a lot of great people.  I was able to meet up with a friend of a friend, whose name is Becky and her cousin Janice.  We rode together on the bus to the starting line and it was great to have someone to talk to and hang out with until the gun went off.  What great women they are!  I am so glad I was able to spend some time with them and get to know them a little bit.

The race was going very well for me and at mile 7 I was able to run with Jeff Galloway and his "fans".  I ran with them for about 7-8 miles.

That was probably the highlight of my day.  He is so awesome and I learned some things from him.  He has run over 139 marathons, is an Olympic champion in the 10,000 meter, has a column in Runners World, and has written several running books, for those of you who don't know.

I started feeling nauseated at about mile 18-19, which has proven very normal for me.  I have to figure out how to avoid/fix this!  I was sick the rest of the day, and ready to NEVER run another marathon again...I think it must be like giving birth, after awhile you forget about all the pain that is involved, and you do it again.  (Sunday I was back on track and I'm ready to do 
St. George in October!)


When I finally saw the finish line, I was able to get up the momentum and race to the finish.  I had to do it under 5 hours.  AND I DID IT!  Spectators were lined up along the several blocks to the finish line and they were cheering and I was feeling very weepy which then made me not be able to breathe.  So I was trying to run and breathe and not cry the last few yards of the  race, which was hard. You know it's a good race when you are not only physically spent but emotionally spent as well after it is over!


The Post race treats were great too.  Jamba Juice, Great Harvest bread, fruit, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  They know what a runner needs after a race!  (unlike the SLC marathon with their hot dogs and nasty tacitos).

I am so glad I did the Ogden marathon.  It will probably be one I do every year from now on!

0 comments: