Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Reflections

I just realized there are only 3 1/2 weeks until the Missoula marathon. Time goes by so fast.

For the past few weeks I have been thinking about how my running/training has changed over the course of 13 years. When I first started running longer distances I wouldn't eat anything before or during the run and I would only drink water (gatorade made me sick). I could run 18 miles like that and not feel yucky...what is up with that? I also would run 6 days a week, no cross training, no strength training. I look back and think how stupid I was. I had several stress fractures, one in my greater trochanter, which put me completely out of commission for over a year. (But, I was thin, and that was all that mattered to me at the time). Not being able to run for that long was a real eye opener. That is when I figured out I needed to do some strength training. I haven't had a stress fracture for over 8 years (knock on wood). I eat before, during and after a long run and I hydrate properly. I weigh a bit more than I did back then, but I feel better, more fit. I think that is what is most important, feeling good. I love that my kids see me working out everyday and I want them to know it is important to be healthy, strong and fit. And that it is okay to eat junk food now and then. I don't want them to have the crazy body image issues that so many girls (and boys) have these days.

0 comments: