Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Drink Coke. Get Fat...



We went to the local convenience store tonight to get a slurpee. We had just finished playing at the park, the kids were hot and a slurpee seemed to be the thing that would "hit the spot." As we stood in line I watched as several customers came in with their 95 ounce refill cups...every single one of them was overweight. Do they not realize that it is the soda that is making them fat? Do they realize they are teaching their kids bad habits? HELLO! I bet Philip Morris wishes he invented cola. I drink the occasional diet Coke... It tastes great, especially with fresh squeezed lemon, but it is not an every day thing. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be on a soap box, it was just an eye opener for me and it made me feel sad.  I try to be a good example for my kids, there are many times that I fail, but they know that exercising and eating healthy is important to me. Hopefully it will resonate in them as they become adults and they will make healthy choices.

Keep running.

12 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

Right on sister!!

Unknown said...

Soda is just so full of nothing but bubbles. Nothing healthy at all. I mostly feel sad for the kids, they are the ones developing the habits from their parents, yikes!

ihaverun said...

It is too true. Soda makes people fat. And I am totally with you on setting an example for my kids. It influences so much of what I do too!

MOMMY-MOMO said...

Soda is the worst!!! and soo bad for you for even more reasons then gaining weight (which alone is enough)

akjenniekt said...

I agree- for being just a drink it's pretty potent stuff. Someone at my work used to unclog her drain by pouring coke down it. That really isn't something I want in my body!

Pining for Pinterest said...

You are soooo right!!!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Hi Stacey,

Thanks for stopping my blog. I liked the OC Marathon or Half. We go to the Newport Beach area many times a year and my wife grew up near Huntington Beach. I have always heard mixed reviews on this one. Yet, like all of them I do - I had fun. Just think they need to promote it better.

If you like Cali races - Surf City HM has been my favorite thus far in California. Although I have SD Rock and Roll in June. I hear great things about SF end of July.

We also get up to St. George a lot. Just there a few weekends ago, and spent time at Zions. Our family loves going there. St. George is a special place. I have many friends who have moved there from the Pacific NW.

Thanks again for stopping by. I prefer diet Dr. Pepper and my weekly Coke from McDonalds. Yes, I know the evils of it all. Yet, I doubt I could ever be a 90 ounce a day refiller at 7-11. :( Once a week is okay though? Isn't it?

Have fun! Cheers!

Jo Lynn said...

That is SO funny! Well, let me explain....
Last week I stopped to get a Slurpee after a hot trail run. Now, the last time I stopped to get a Slurpee, my daughter was in fifth grade - she's 23 years old now! Anyway, as I walked up to the machine there was a grandma and her very overweight young grand daughter. They both filled up a large sized cup with cola flavored frozen liquid. I, on the other hand, was THRILLED to see they have a sugar free option for us now. I filled up a small cup with my sugar free fruit flavored frozen liquid and was very satisfied with the quench. ;)

Katie A. said...

You are SO right! Keep standing on that soapbox - someone needs to point this out!
It's funny, my hubbs and I were traveling just a few weeks ago and we were in a city that shall remain nameless for now. But at one point, without saying anything to the other prior, we looked at each other and said, "did you notice that or is it just me?" And the "that" was that most every person we saw was overweight! Like, very few "fit" people. We often notice that when we journey out of our little area, but this was BAD! I bet they all drink coke! LOL!

X-Country2 said...

Pop is killing America. Sing it!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I haven't had a soda in more than a month, don't miss it, am losing weight, and am much happier for it!

Jeanne said...

Hear, hear!