Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

20 Miles

I love, love, love how I feel after a long run...lean and strong! And yesterday's run was fabulous! I ran my usual, favorite, middle of the desert route. Have I told you how much I love running in the desert? It makes me happy!

As I started my run, I knew it was going to be a good one, I could just feel it. Perfect weather, lots of good sleep the night before... and I wasn't disappointed.

A couple of crazy things happened though, when I reached the first half mile, I crossed the street, not remembering the baby birds in the tree on the other side of the road. As I was running, minding my own business, listening to Madonna on my ipod, a mama/daddy bird started swooping down... once... twice... and the third time it made contact. I felt so violated...Ha! I was just glad it didn't poop on my head!

The rest of the run was pretty uneventful, just me and the open road. At mile 17.5 I looked down at my feet, and thought they looked weird, then I realized I was wearing two different shoes. My Kayano 15s and my 2150's. I have never done that before. Note to self, turn on the closet light while getting ready.


I have always loved the Kayanos, but since they've tweaked the design, I prefer the 2150s. They are more narrow and my foot doesn't slide around as much inside.

Hope you all have a fantastic holiday weekend!  Keep running!

20 comments:

Caratunk Girl said...

That is pretty funny about the two different sneakers - sounds like something I would do! :) Great run - long runs are just awesome.

Carly said...

Great job on the long run, it does sound like it was the perfect long run. I am laughing about the shoes...I have almost done the same thing.

joyRuN said...

Took you 17.5mi to realize you had different shoes on?! LOL! Sounds like something I would do.

ShutUpandRun said...

Seriously hilarious that you had on two different shoes!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the desert too but I can't say I've ever run there. I truly believe that some people can handle the heat and can run there, that must be you! Nice job on your long run!
Love the shoes, I do that when I get dressed for work in the morning!

Hannah said...

Ok, that is hilarious about the shoes! Love it!

Running Diva Mom said...

OMG -- That's one thing I haven't done wrong or forgotten before I went for a run!!!! I've done several other foolish things and I'm sure it will happen some day!! Congrats on your long run and new foot attire!! Maybe you've set a new running trend?!

Anton said...

Brilliant run. You might be on to something with the two different shoes...modifying your foot wear to suit the individual gait of each leg...you may well set a new trend here..lol

Janice {Run Far} said...

I have done that before... But it was not a ling run. I went to spin then a 5 miler... noticed it part way through the run. Ha.... and the birds... I can't believe they made contact. WOW.

ajh said...

Love the two shoes! I am glad I am not the only one who does nutty things. Once I took two right shoes with me instead of the pair!

Marathonman101108 said...

I had a difficult time running 4 miles in 80 degree temperatures today, never mind running 20 miles in the desert. Maybe you were powered by the different running shoes. Guess I'll have to try that for my next run! Congrats on a successful long run. I am truly impressed.

misszippy said...

So funny about the shoes! I agree...LOVE the feeling after a long run. Quite addicting!

Tricia said...

hehe too funny about the shoes

Marlene said...

Can't beat the post long-run feeling!

I can't believe you ran that far without noticing the mismatched shoes! Too funny.

Lindsay said...

too funny about the shoes! i can't believe you went 17+ miles before noticing :)

Chris said...

Great job on the run. The shoes are so funny!

Whitney said...

That's too funny that you had been running for a while and not even noticed the two different shoes!

Denise said...

that is too funny that you had 2 different shoes on! i haven't done that...yet.

RunToTheFinish said...

how funny you ran 20 miles in different shoes! i'm pretty sure I would have felt the difference, but maybe not

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Stacy,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have grown to really like desert running. Although when it is not raining - Seattle is still number one. We make it up to St. George 3-4 times a year. Mainly to visit Zions. With each trip I usually go for 3-6 mile runs around town. Peaceful little town. Fun I have blog follower who lives so close!

Yep - Disneyland is favorite of my family and myself. My wife grew up 10-15 minutes down the the freeway from it and went all the time. I am looking forward to running the HM again. The Anaheim Angels Stadium portion is fun along with the backlot areas. This year we get to actually run down Mainstreet. My family is excited for the 5k. We were just talking about their training at the dinner table.

Take care and yeah - long runs in the desert are the best. Yes, I have made the same mistake with shoes and socks. Those early AM Summer runs in Vegas to beat the heat have me finally waking up 2-3 miles into each run. Who knows what I throw on myself at 3:30 AM.

Keep kickin!